USMILITARYPATCH.COM

USS SHIELDS DD-596 FLETCHER CLASS DESTROYER MILITARY PATCH

USS SHIELDS   DD-596

SIZE:  5"  x  4"

TOP QUALITY EMBROIDERED

HEAT SEALED QUALITY

USS Shields (DD-596), a Fletcher-class destroyer, was a ship of the United States Navy named for Purser Thomas Shields (died 1827), who fought in the Battle of New Orleans. The keel of the destroyer, Shields, was laid on 10 August 1943 at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, Bremerton, Washington. Sponsored by First Lieutenant Margaret Shields Farr, WAC, the great-granddaughter of Purser Shields, the destroyer was launched on 25 September 1944 and commissioned on 8 February 1945, Commander George B. Madden, USN, in command. decommissioned and placed in reserve on 14 June 1946. Though decommissioned, Shields continued in an in-service status, participating in the reserve program. She was called back into active service at the outbreak of the Korean War and recommissioned on 15 July 1950. On 30 November 1963, Shields ceased operations as an active fleet unit and was assigned as a Naval Reserve Training Ship, part of Reserve Destroyer Squadron 27. With her full-time crew cut more than 50%, she spent the next 8 years working with the Development and Training Command to maintain the combat efficiency of reservists. After a survey of Shields in March 1972, it was determined that the cost of her modernization would be prohibitive and that she was only of marginal value to the Navy without it. Consequently, Shields was decommissioned on 1 July 1972 and sold to the Brazilian Navy. Shields was awarded the Korean Presidential Unit Citation (Korea) and three battle stars for service in the Korean War.