Cusk (SS-348) was launched 28 July 1945 by Electric Boat Co., Groton, Conn. She was commissioned 5 February 1946. A pioneer in the missile field, Cusk was designated SSG-348, 20 January 1948 and was the first submarine to launch a guided missile from her own deck, a forerunner of the ballistic missile submarines of the future. She entered Mare Island Naval Shipyard for extensive modernization in 1954, but remained in the missile program because of her special guidance equipment although redesignated SS-348, 1 July 1954. Cusk arrived at Pearl Harbor, her new home port, 13 May 1957. Continuing her missile experiments she operated in Hawaiian waters except for a cruise to San Diego in 1957 and duty in the Far East in 1958 and 1960.